The Parish House on Rising Sun Avenue was built in 1928 and expanded in 1962 to serve the growing parish community. At one time, it contained the parish office, an auditorium, Sunday School classrooms, a gymnasium and even a bowling alley. Many wonderful Trinity events took place in this building, including Christmas Pageants and the annual Ham & Oyster Dinner!
As far back as the 1970’s, it became clear that Trinity could not afford to maintain the building on its own, and it was rented for use as a daycare and Police Athletic League facility. We are very proud of the community partnership that lasted over forty years, helping countless young people to grow and develop.
However, in the last decade, the cost of maintaining the aging facility often exceeded the rental income. The parish struggled with how to balance our community service with the stewardship of our historic church and graveyard located at the other end of the campus.
In 2012, the congregation charged the Vestry with finding a commercial tenant for the portion of the property nearest Rising Sun Avenue, a busy commercial corridor. It was determined that this is the best way to preserve the church’s legacy for future generations. The tenants were informed and the process was started.
In 2015, a potential tenant was identified; city and community meetings, along with detailed planning work, are in progress. In addition, the former sexton’s cottage is being renovated to serve as the future church office and multipurpose space.